Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Artist Talk: Timothy Selzin Nafziger

Who?
Birth name: Timothy Selzin Nafziger Artist Name :Selzin (pronounced sel-zon-just because) aka timothy tha ol'skoola aka calzone

Where are you from?
Surprisingly Earth. Born in England, raised in Jos, Nigeria til the age of 13, then moved to Columbus, Ohio (C-bus) migrated south to Florida for a few years, then back to Ohio. And of course now Brooklyn!

What do you call yourself (writer, rapper, photographer, etc)?
Ambiguous. An artist. Poet. Emcee. Dreamer.

How do you create (your inspiration)?
People around me inspire me. My surroundings engulf me. Mediocrity annoys me. War grips me. Race does not define me. Rivers flow and carry elements with them. I am one of them. People are music-pulsing, walking, dancing, stuttering, panting, screaming, yelling, screeching, whispering. Shhh, can you hear it? My art defines me. Music aligns me

Why do you do it?
For the love. To prove a point. To strike a chord. To start a revolution in 3 and a half minutes. To expose the truth. To let go. To let in. To engage.

Are you currently working on anything?
Always. Working on a hip hop project that is gonna consist of a lot of alliteration. I have also been writing a decent amount of introspective poetry recently. Starting a new band. I will be hosting a monthly showcase @ Therapy wine bar, next show is Dec 14th, 7pm sharp-10pm.

Advice you would give a young Artist?
Don't let substance, women, or negative feedback get in the way of your goal. Learn from the criticism you collect. Write with no limitations. NEVER throw away your art. Years later you will be able to pick and choose from these pieces. Be yourself. Adapt but do not conform.